The goal of the experiment is to calculate the temperature of the outlet of the cyclone's flow gases that should be less than 60 Degrees Celsius and to test the sprinklers of the scrubber to see if they are good to use in the smoke filtering process.
The previous smoke filtering system in the power plant was replaced with a new scrubber, cyclone, and the connections between them. The system received new sprinklers to improve smoke filtration and cooling.
The powerplant's electric components were successfully maintained. and a temperature sensor was connected to the electro-filter intake before doing this test since the electro-filter requires a temperature of less than 60 degrees Celsius to remain safe and not malfunction.(we removed the Electro-Filter parts in this test)
- Test Specification:
- Connecting the incinerator to the venturi scrubber, then the cyclone, then the chimney.
- Checking all ducts and pipes.
- Removing the electro-filter from the system.
- Connecting the temperature sensor to the outlet of the cyclone.
- Putting 13 bags of wood in the combustion chamber of the incinerator.
- Setting fire to the combustion chamber of the incinerator.
- Turning on the 2 fans placed in the combustion chamber.
- Turning on the pump (P). the water started to run in the system and we opened the scrubber ball valve to let the water coming out of the sprinklers, filtering the smoke and cooling it to get out of the system.
- Running the incinerator with scrubber, measuring smoke temperature after cyclone by sensor related by the GUI., it was found that it is 150 degree without water and 106 degree with sprinklers turned on
- with the sprinklers turned on the smoke start choking due to the water over flow in the scrubber and that close the cyclone gasses inlet, we open the main door of the combustion chamber manually to let the smoke to return to its full combustion process.
- We Opened the ball valve of the cyclone manually to let the smoke receive to the chimney.
- We Closed the main door of combustion chamber manually when the gases flow back to normal.
- We Turned off the 2 fans placed in the combustion chamber. when the process was done.
- we Turned off the incinerator.
- we Waited until the smoke stops emitting.
- We Turned off the pump (P), Close the ball valve of the cyclone manually, Disconnect the electrical connections and open the boiler head gate valve to let the pressurized water vapor to get out of the system then we close it again.
|Steps||Steps description||Excepted result||Result|
|Precondition||The incinerator is connected to the venturi scrubber, then the cyclone, then the chimney||✔️|
|All electrical parts of the power plant are connected (without electro-filter)|
|All ducts are checked||✔️|
|All pipes are checked||✔️|
|4 sprinklers is connected to the pipe in the venturi scrubber||✔️|
|The electrofilter removed out of the system||✔️|
|Temperature sensor is connected in the outlet of the cyclone||✔️|
|Run the incinerator with measuring smoke temperature after cyclone||Put 13 bags of wood in the combustion chamber of the incinerator||13 bags of wood are put in the incineration||✔️|
|Set fire to the combustion chamber of the incinerator||The wood started to burn||✔️|
|Smoke started to appear||✔️|
|Turn on the 2 fans placed in the combustion chamber||The 2 fans are turned on||✔️|
|The wood combustion is more efficient||❌|
|Turn on the pump (P)||The pump (P) is turned on||✔️|
|The sprinklers start working||✔️|
|The water flow out of the sprinklers working properly||❌|
|The water doesn´t enter the cyclone||❌|
|Open the ball valve of the scrubber manually||Water start to exit from the outlet of scrubber||✔️|
|Flow of the smoke doesn´t choke in combustion chamber||❌|
|The smoke passing out of the chimney||❌|
|The smoke is choking, open the main door of combustion chamber manually||The smoke getting out of the combustion chamber door||✔️|
|The fire back to normal combustion||✔️|
|Open the ball valve of the cyclone manually||The water flow can extract from the bottom of the cyclone||✔️|
|The water has little black color in the smoke due to Cyclone||✔️|
|The smoke can enter to the cyclone normally||✔️|
|Read the temperature value in outlet of cyclone by sensor related by the GUI||The temperature is reading by GUI||✔️|
|Turn Off the incinerator||Close the main door of combustion chamber manually||The main door of combustion chamber is closed||✔️|
|Turn Off the 2 fans placed in the combustion chamber||The 2 fans are turned off||✔️|
|Wait until the smoke stops emitted||The smoke emission stops||✔️|
|Turn Off the pump (P)||The pump (P) is turned off||✔️|
|Close the ball valve of the cyclone manually||The ball valve of the cyclone is closed||✔️|
|Disconnect the electrical connections||All electrical connections are disconnected||✔️|
|Open the boiler gate valve manually||the superheated vapor get out from the valve||✔️|
|Close the boiler gat manually after the pressurized vapor get out||It is closed successfully||✔️|
- Pictures related to the test:
- Data Collected:
- The temperature of the smoke at the outlet of the cyclone without water was 150 degrees Celsius.
- The temperature of the smoke at the outlet of the cyclone with sprinklers turned on was 106 degrees Celsius.
- The water flow from the sprinklers was not sufficient to cool the smoke.
- The smoke was able to enter the cyclone normally, but the water flow from the sprinklers caused the water to back up into the cyclone and choke the smoke.
- Data Analysis:
- The sprinklers hole are large.
- The fans are not enough to push the smoke out of the incinerator.
- The used water is hot to cool the smoke
- Future Work:
- A new sprinklers will be used in the system.
- 2 fans will be connected to the incinerator.
- Another water tank will be used
- water should be cooled with cooling process that will be installed in the tank.